By Elton Magoon
I have seen many interesting gutter cleaning gadgets come out in the last decade. In this short article, I want to talk about the Looj made by iRobot. I don't use the Looj in my own business, because of reasons I will get into next.
Gutter cleaning with the iRobot Loog
The looj is a gutter cleaning robot created by iRobot. IRobot was founded here in Massachusetts by MIT. Basically you sit the iRobot into your gutter and the paddle on the front turns like a propeller, to kick the debris out of the gutter. As the Looj cleans, it moves forward using tractor wheels and resembles a little tank. After you place it into the gutter, you can control the robot with a remote control; sort of like an RC toy. It also has an autonomous self cleaning mode, but I can't find any videos of it cleaning on this setting. The picture below is of a Looj cleaning out a dirty gutter.
Does the Looj really work? Yes but not well enough for me to use in my gutter cleaning business. I have certainly considered buying one just for this reason, but the more I learned about the Looj the less I wanted to buy one. Here is a list of what I don't like about the Looj:
1) The Looj only fits certain types of gutters
2) The Looj may get stuck if some of the gutter hangers aren't properly positioned. (This is a common occurrence)
3) Judging from some of the videos I saw, the paddle throws debris onto the roof and then it falls back into the gutter
4) If the gutters are muddy, the Looj may flip mud onto the lower windows.
5) If the downspouts are dirty and clogged, the Looj will not help because it only cleans the gutters.
6) It's too slow under most conditions
This is just my perspective as someone who cleans gutters for a living. I am not saying the looj is of no use, it is just of no use for my gutter cleaning business. If you are the "do-it-yourself type" who cleans out their own gutters anyway, the Looj could be helpful. It may help you to speed up the process, and you wont have to move your ladder as many times. You will also work safer because the less you have to go up and down the ladder, the safer you will be. If you do choose to buy the Looj, make sure your gutters are the correct type and measurements for the looj to properly work in.
If you have any questions comments or suggestions please feel free to contact me at: email@example.com
You can also fill out the form below.
Thank you very much!